Friday, September 27, 2013

A Letter Home to Mom & Dad on 21 March 2013

This is a copying of a letter I wrote to Mom & Dad, on stationery that I bought at the last Arts in the Heart of Augusta (the most recent one, which I did not attend, is when I moved from North Augusta to head to Delaware from September 20-22, 2013) in 2012, to my parents from the Bojangle's on Wheeler Road, a place I frequented after getting Curt Oglesby up from early September 2012 to June 2013.

Dear Mom and Dad,

On this brilliant Thursday morning in a Bojangle's Restaurant with the sun streaming in onto my white card, unwritten upon, ye, with CNN blaring above me on the television, talk of Obama's visit to Israel; I work to compose my thoughts on the ineffable but unyielding march of time and change. All move forward  in some manner, and the process of evolution, change is unremitting, unsympathetic, merciless and unfeeling. We must feel, we must adapt, we must prepare for the eventual. I LOVE YOU BOTH, SO MUCH, and the concern will be earnest and heartfelt. But let us talk, let us plan, for the future, for your heirs, for your legacy  for all that makes you the special, precious people that you are.

Decisions, end-of-life ones, are difficult but necessary for those cared for and those who care for you. I am no expert but certainly there are the legal issues (power of attorney and all), health issues (the same), family concerns (what do you want to leave as your gift or remembrance to those, the many, who will mourn your passing)... I could go on but we need to do this task, onerous as it is, as a family, a loving and caring group. And we shall, for the good of all. The result will not only be relief but genuine compassion for each other.

After a delay of less than a day, I resume this important note to my beloved creators, my parents, who standing, unknowing and anxious at the airport in New York, held their two young children, the infant Doug in your arms Mom and the toddler Rudy fitted to the side of you Dad. What a vision from the past. What lay ahead for this young family in late summer, early fall of 1958, a 27-year-old mother and her 30-year-old husband. Fast forward almost 55 years and we are still a family, perhaps separated by miles but still one. Let us always remember that bond wherever our journeys take us, certainly within this life and to the great, unknown beyond. We don't know what awaits us but be resolved that the adventure will be one dressed and protected by compassion and absolute care and of course Love!

                                                                                                             Always, Rudy



No comments: