Saturday, July 5, 2014

5 July 2014: Saturday ... Hoyt Goodson remembered ... Ruth Berry's bday ... landline, modem & WIFI back & better ... perfect weather ... mom's Dutch amazing ... Nick phone call ...

"An encounter at the gas station today reminded me of Hoyt Goodson. Man drove up to the pump beside me today. Asked for money because he had been at the hospital, all his money and ID was stolen and he had been driving for 1 1/2 hours. This wasn't the first time I've been approached in this way with various story lines. I always say no since I'm basically a skeptic and I never have cash on me. Then I remembered Hoyt. He once told me that he would rather give $5 and it turn out to be a scam than take a chance on not helping someone in need. Hoyt was a much better UU than I- that first Principle is hard for me.
  • Rudy Nyhoff Thank you Jan for reminding me of Hoyt, a true man of spirit and kindness. He would bury skepticism in favor of trust and be the winner no matter. (Oh, and by the way, you're a mentor when it comes to living UU.) 
    23 hours ago · Edited · Like · 3
  • Andy Reese Hoyt was a model for many of us, not only for his quiet good deeds, but also for his humorous, but pointed, letters to the editor."



    We have a landline back and a faster modem set up thanks to a Comcast visit from a young man named Will, I think, 27 years of age and having worked for the cable giant for 7 years and liking it. Good at his work he made some changes and got the modem hooked up, which contains a WIFI built-in, and got it connected to the tabletop, the iPad and my iPhone by reciting the lengthy password written on the bottom of the modem. 
    He also replaced the wiring in the back and it made it less prone to a power outage by reconfiguring the connects and redoing the ground. He was terrific and he got the job thanks to his younger brother. Previously, he'd studied carpentry at Hodson and was working construction. He likes this job a lot as it offers variety and challenge. Great to now have the landline up again and have a faster modem and WIFI. 

No comments: