Thursday, July 3, 2014

2 July 2014: Wednesday ... Brahms' 2nd on WDAV is ALL Major Scales ... Landline back up through modem ... Body Pump w/Amy ... Body Combat w/Jennifer ... thunderstorm ... glowing light

Listened to the Brahms' 2nd Symphony this early morning on WDAV from about 4:00 a.m. on, an historic recording with George Szell leading the Cleveland Orchestra in 1967. I could have sworn with its moodiness that it was in a minor key. Wrong! All the movements are in major keys:
      


  1. Allegro non troppo (D major)
  2. Adagio non troppo (B major)
  3. Allegretto grazioso (quasi andantino) (G major)
  4. Allegro con spirito (D major)

Brahms - Symphony No. 2 - Wiener Philharmoniker - Leonard Bernstein - 1982

Tough and vibrant Body Combat workout with Jennifer this morning, a fill-in for Renee. She is a tough and in shape and encouraged us to do our best. I flounder, most of the time when it comes to kicks but do alright with the punches, but overall, it's a workout that stresses my middle-aged muscles and bones. Later, I had a nice conversation with Jennifer as she brought up some exercise equipment to the WR near the entrance of the Y. She is an engaging and delightful person.

Earlier, Amy got my grey-colored blood-donation shirt sweat-stained with a vigorous Body Pump. Kristi asked about my concert on Friday. She now has her Delaware license and she's waiting on a used Honda Civic, just 10,000 miles to replace her aging vehicle. A workout fiend, she does three group classes this morning, finishing with Body Combat. Later, I got to see Dragana, who vacationed in Montreal last week and always wears a perpetual smile. I mentioned my interaction with a Bulgarian woman, waving to her chorister husband at the Mann Center performance of the Beethoven 9th and how I used the world "dobro" with her. She recognized it. "Yes," she said. "The languages are very similar. I have friends from Bulgaria and I can understand and speak to them fine."

Called Comcast from Pathmark and the tech suggested I connect the phone jack into the modem ... it worked but the other phone jacks do not, so have scheduled a repair visit this Saturday from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. to check it out. In the meantime, I have the phone hooked into the modem and operating in the TV room, on the floor (to avoid tripping on the line) and have actually taken two phone calls since it became working again. Glad that I did not have to replace it (got a great suggestion from the people at Best Buy who did not pressure me into replacing these phones, they working fine).

A thunderstorm brought sweeping swaths of rain for a short time period on this day when the temp approached 100 degrees. Skeesha brought Dancer in from outside and she did not mind being indoors, although she looked fine outside with a fresh bowl of water. We did walk, later than usual, around the neighborhood, the long block and I took it wider to Mealey Funeral Home and along Limestone Road for a total of about 2.5 miles (I stopped my DigiFit app on the steps going to the second floor a little after 9 p.m. and got a "Woo-hoo" from the computer voice).

A final note, there was eerie, luminous light suffusing the air as I started the walk with Dancer and I debated walking over to Stacy and her son, who were out by her car. The light glowed and invigorated as the rain had knocked down the heat and humidity of the day down some.

 

No comments: