Thursday, February 27, 2014

27 February 2014: Thursday ... brilliant day but chill ... crescent moon and brilliant planet (?) this am in the eastern sky ... bday of Marion Anderson (1897) ... busy day with 800 calls but A LOT done ...

Today is the birthday of the famed contralto Marion Anderson, a fact elucidated by the keen intellect and FB aficionado, Loyd Dillon  (he texted me this evening after attending a tribute concert to Pete Seeger and spoke of the "religious experience" of listening to great artists, "Especially if we go back to the original meaning of the word "religion" -- a "binding together"). We exchanged some pleasantries as I mentioned her connection to dad's musical god Arturo Toscanini and how the maestro thought her voice "once in a century" quality. I even found a quotes page on the web site to the contralto with that particular quote listed. 

Two, for a second time, group exercises today. Both were new to me. BodyVive in the morning with a new instructor for me, Pamela, where we worked out with stretch bands (I took one to taught and paid a price, they were difficult to stretch during the strength portion of the workout) and BodyAttack with the incomparable Renee who really gets you moving with a splendid exercise that she totally invests herself into and I felt, on my first go-round with the moves, totally out of synch with the music and my lack of timing. But I did sweat and feel total exhaustion. Afterward, had a great conversation with a splendid person and trainer, Carla, who I've taken BodyPump with on several occasions. She took the class with Renee and she is a former special ed teacher and is an RN, who worked in med/surg at Christiana for about 7 years before she had three kids -- two boys (one in college, the other HS) and a girl (13 years old). She is so dynamic and funny and just full of energy and warmth. She'd just gotten over a bout of illness and had missed teaching on Monday. I will have to get back to her class and develop this friendship. Out of a sense of comfort, I told her about meeting Katia and my date with her on Sunday. She is just someone you feel you can confide.

A few important and overdue 800 calls made today were rewarding. To summarize, quickly: called Bank of America credit card and cancelled dad's and got mom to call and request a detailed transaction list for 2013 and the taxes (in particular, what dad spent on prescriptions since he used his credit card at Pathmark and Walmart for his expensive insulin and other drugs for mom ... it could be quite significant ... it will cost a little less than $10 for the report, mom said put it on her credit card, which is still good through August of this year);  called Delaware Health and Social Service and now have Delaware Physicians, Inc. as my selected provider and I was able to choose Dr. David Maged as my preferred physician (he is on that service) ... it will start in early April and in the meantime, if I need medical treatment, I can use Medicaid (if I can find a physician, according to my doctor brother -- no sub-specialties in the Atlanta area accept Medicaid but it might be different for primary care); and called AAA and when I renew, I can change my club status from the Carolinas to the Delaware Chapter of the automobile association. It was a welcome and needed set of calls and it all worked out, thankfully.
       

No comments: