Thursday, April 24, 2014

24 April 2014: Thursday ... eggs for breakfast ... sewing repair ... National Geographic story on boat rendering in Bangladesh ...

"What made you think of eggs this morning," Mom asked as she shuffled hesitatingly from the bathroom, "they were delicious."

I laid down my window blind (had an epiphany, let's give Mom a task that she can do in the bed and that will engage her) in need of a sewing repair onto her bed. She is on it right now. Threading her needle with brown thread. I also DID not cut up her soft-boiled eggs on toast. She did fine. The plate was clean. She did enjoy them. Before I left for the Y at around 7:30 a.m., she'd completed the sewing and I put the curtain back up in the window. Amazing.

I return, after a leisurely workout that ended with "Transforming Transitions" workshop by yoga instructor Christine Shaw, soon to be 50 years of age (11 May, I believe, Mother's Day is her Earth entrance day, 1964) and a veggie omelet, home fries, rye toast and coffee at Mary's Kountry Kitchen in Newport served by Sue, arrived home to find the TV off and mom reading National Geographic, an article on the boat yard that breaks apart old boats in Bangladesh. She sympathized with their plight as the work is dangerous and extremely unhealthy. Good to see her involved and she said she even used the one-pound weights a bit this morning (later, as I brought up her dinner, she was working out with them). 


Looking at going to Suburban Lawn & Equipment, Inc., in Newport for a highly rated Honda lawn mower (HRX217VKA) which is selling for $599.99, a good price. Just got back from purchasing the mower from the aforementioned business, a busy place with a number of workers, from a Mike Petruccelli, who was glad for my business. The mower will be delivered tomorrow morning between 9 - 11 a.m. Will need to be here and workout beginning at 6 a.m. The cost was a penny under $600.00 and I charged it to my Amazon/Chase VISA card. 


Drove to Mt. Cuba Center to check on its location off Barley Mill Road and the event on Sunday. Made my way to the accountant, Tom Szewczyk and office manager, Chris, only to find the office called. Decided to check out where Jane & Bob Frelick have lived for years and according to Bea Webb, the home was built by Jane's father and the first home on Overlook Drive off of Barley Mill Road. It's lovely but I decided not to knock on the door unannounced.

We do have a savings account (mom says there is $120K in it) but the banker, Keli Malachi (who is unaware of who the Old Testament -- Book of Malachi, the last one in the Tanakh before the New Testament -- Jewish prophet was who graces her last name), who told me of the account which is amassing a whopping 1/10th of a percent interest, could not give me the amount. I have to be on the account and that will come about only with mom's presence in the Wells Fargo office (not going to happen) or my presentation of "power of attorney" papers to have my name added. Also spoke to an investment banker about the options to put the money to better use. 



No comments: