Wednesday, November 13, 2013

13 November 2013: Wednesday ... a day of visits ... Joe Brennan, Lisa from Elder Care, Beth & Christine from DE Hospice, & HANK KRYSIAK, 92, and still Linda Sills, DE Hospice social worker ...


Henry "Hank" Krysiak, 92, chess and piano player, retired artist (at least making artwork), stopped by
to thank dad for visiting for the funeral of his wife. He is now living alone and has fits of "melancholia" but works through them.


A nurse who is recertifying through Del Tech accompanied Beth Kincaid, RN, the case
manager for dad from Delaware Hospice, on her visit this late morning and took dad's BP.
It was normal.
 
Consummate and inveterate walker Joe Brennan, former patient of dad's, stopped by as I was clearing the driveway of leaves (it was a chill day) to see how "the doctor" was doing and when I mentioned hospice, he thought dad was housed elsewhere and was surprised when inside the house heard his voice. He'd expected an address to contact him. 


Caught her half-yawn and not being aggressive
and posted it on FB ... just a lucky shot. 

As dad puts his bed together -- he asked me earlier to tuck the covers in (he likes my hospital corners) -- it's been a busy day for him. He had a number of visitors -- two friends, Joe Brennan and Henry "Hank" Krysiak and professional persons like the nurses from Delaware Hospice (Beth Kincaid, dad's case manager and a student nurse who took dad's blood pressure), a patient care representative (Lisa Shields) from Home Instead and finally, when I was taking Dancer to see Vet Qiao (pronounced Chow), married to a Chinese man, a graduate of Lasalle and Old Mississippi's vet school in Starkville, who told me that my dog is a little overweight, gave him a shot for parvo (3 years) and 12 months of heartworm protection for a small amount of $248 (ouch!). 

Afterward, took about a mile walk on a lovely nature trail in White Clay Creek and then went over to the historic home of Judge Morris estate, who bought the home in the 1930s and was named a federal judge by Woodrow Wilson and then went on to be head of the U of Delaware directors for 20 years. I got this shot of Dancer looking into the setting sun.



Today has been a good day thanks to all the visits but dad is exhausted and mom, who was trying to set the temperature on the thermostat and seems irritated and yelled at Dancer and she gets on my nerves so I have to head out and do another walk. But I am tired, too, and it has been a wonderful day, even with dad's fatigue but mom enjoyed meeting the woman from Home Instead, who was a looker and who I sensed found me attractive, but that's just me and my sense of self-importance. I did get out and collect/grind up the leaves in the driveway before Joe Brannen came up to ask about dad. I am glad he did.

Human contact is always good and makes living worthwhile. It may be the single greatest thing about human life. I bought 3 get-well cards for almost $10 but they were worth it. One mom and the other I did to Tilly Rotter at Wilmington Hospital as she recovers from hip replacement surgery. Be well my 3rd mother ... she and so many others are amazing people. And yes, that makes life purposeful. 


No comments: