Thursday, November 7, 2013

7 November 2013: Thursday ... Dad up early, bed made, says he hasn't sleeped and he's concerned about the check and his prescriptions ... we go online to see his account ...


Dad reads some of the mail from a previous day on Wednesday, 6 November 2013. He had some swelling from the SVC (Superior Vena Cava) Syndrome and some hand swelling. Dr. Grubbs has prescribed prednisone but he didn't start taking it until he'd had something to eat that evening (two Holland rusk with liverwurst and some milk) -- two tablets, 10 mg each, for a dose of 20 mg (the pharmacy did not have 20 mg tablets in stock). His oncologist also thinks that collateral circulation will resolve the swelling for the most part.

My short blog post respected the privacy of my father yet expressed my immense sense of privilege at caring for him -- shaving him and helping him shower: 
"Parent care for me entered a privileged status this morning. Details unnecessary, but suffice it to say, I am honored by the trust given to me by my dear father. There is none greater or more meaningful."



Dad had me call Walmart Pharmacy to check on these strips.
They do not sell them; however, Amazon does and this one sells for $23.42. 
Ordered the above from Meditech and will arrive in 6 or so days. Dad is amazed.
Dad is having a good day. He called to cancel an invitation. He's answered some queries in his mail and most important of all, he has turned up the volume on Wagner and Toscanini. We received, amazingly, the drugs and emergency kit for dad from Delaware Hospice. Boy, they are on the money and prompt. Just amazing. We have the info -- STAPLED, thanks to my repair (need the right-sized staples in the stapler) -- is secured together and in the folder under this desk. He has also phoned and left a message for Dr. Maged.

Made an important trip to Dr. Maged's office, first, to get the prescriptions, garnered through dad's call to his office and later return phone call, which he answered; and then back home to collect a Lantus coupon (that proved worthless but I didn't know) and then onto Walmart to hand over the scripts and then wait and shop for about 45 minutes and then get assaulted by the cost, over $400, which is primarily the Lantus which goes for about $190 per vial (two were on the script) and Plavix at close to $90. Well, the wait was worth it and now he has the needed medication.

Another important trip, indicative of the change that is occurring was the deposit, via the ATM, of dad's insurance check from his savings about $1100, which he normally took to Greenville to cash into many $20 bills. We added up the money on hand in the house and we have about $1500, so I deposited it into the account. Added to that check was Arthur's final check to me, the amount left over after the repairs were made to the rental property -- $140.00 -- and dad was so unsure and angry at me using an ATM and not using the teller. I had to show him online that the amount is in the bank and being ok'ed for final addition to the account.

After the bank trip, the sky opened up and the earth chilled as a cold front moved in. The day was beautiful at Bark Park and I took Dancer there and got excited with the colors and sent two pics to Facebook of the lake (which was just said, the word "lake", during the interview with an atheistic Jew, Richard Rodriguez, on the NewsHour and Jeffrey Brown). At the end of the walk, Gail Emerson called and then I got a call from mom from her cell (I need my coumadin ... I said give me 15 minutes). Called Gail back and then saw that Dancer was inside a fenced area and had to close the call, again. Got inside the fenced area and collected Dancer, called Gail back and learned that she might be in the area tomorrow and will give a call if she can come over. Earlier, needing a Dancer photo she climbed up on me and I got a close photo of her eyes, intently looking at me.


 
   


The day is concluded as I help, with dad's request, with the making of his bed. Pulling the blanket over and tucking in the excess, with dad's insistence, at the end of the bed and the puffing up the pillow. Dancer is resting on the floor as the TV plays with no sound on WHYY, Channel 12. The NewsHour has just concluded. And so has this post. It has been an inspiring, meaningful and long day. 
 

No comments: