Tuesday, November 5, 2013

5 November 2013: Tuesday,


  • Joseph OHara
    Joseph O'Hara

    hello Rudy! Just wanted to tell you how wonderful you are for taking care of your parents. That's God's work for sure. Jamie and I were speaking the other day and we agreed you might be the nicest man on earth. you are a good man!
    God Bless You!
  • Rudy Nyhoff
    You are so incredibly kind Joe, but the superlative might be going a bit too far. I'm a nice guy and what I'm doing is worthwhile but it is also so necessary. I really have no choice but in having no choice, believe it or not, I have been granted great liberty and thus great joy in taking care of my parents.
    I appreciate your reference to god and I use the lower case not in disrespect but to let you know that as a humanist -- an agnostic, atheist, whatever you want to label me -- my belief system is set within human interaction and compassion and love. In no way do I discount or look down upon theistic systems of belief, but I look at life and its meaning from a different perspective. It is my heartfelt belief, though, that in the end, our belief systems come to the same result and that is the care and loving of those who have loved and cared for us.
    Thank you again for you and Jamie are just wonderful people and it is a great honor to call you my friends.
    In loving humankindness, rudy
    After a Day Break ... A Dancer Photo on 11/5/13
    Just-behind-the-ears pet by my neighbor Chris puts Dancer into a relaxed pose. She just loves attention.

    We got Delaware Hospice at the right time. Dad is having it rough. He is getting more confused and he's coughing more sputum and his demeanor is just less positive. He still asks about mom and just said "nothing serious" after I went down to the bathroom upon mom's call and got her the dress that she'd laid out on the bed and handed to her in the bathroom (carefully covering up any view of my mother's body from the bath ... in the words of Schultz ... "I (saw) nothing."

    But now I hear the lawnmowers working and they'll be in and out in 20 minutes.

    Called Dr. Grubb's office and left a message for his triage nurse, Michele Glick, and she got back to me, not long after I'd spoken to Liz and then to Robert Leroy Jones. She left a message and I phoned her right back and actually spoke to her. She is quite a nice person. The doctor ordered prednisone for dad and phoned in the prescription to Pathmark Pharmacy. I took a short nap and then told dad, who was little taken aback that I hadn't told him earlier but he forgave me and I went on a few errands that included the pharmacy, where the Indian (?) pharmacist, Darya (?), who works with Ed, actually went out into the store aisles and tracked down the iron supplement that I needed, Fergon. So nice of her. I then paid, using my new debit card for the first time, really, and the old/new PIN number that I'd just changed at the Wells Fargo up Limestone Road by banker Christine Pinnock. I also deposited, for the first time, a check into our joint checking account, actually dad's, which was the refund from the car insurance that was sent to us when I was placed on the policy ($322.00).  

    On a strange, coincidental note, I read the article in the November National Geographic issue, the 125th Anniversary Photo publication, about the cost in human lives and misery of the precious metals taken from the Democratic Republic of the Congo early this morning, before the News Journal arrived (it was a little late this morning). Well, today, one of the most well-known, notorious groups, M-23, has given up. They are responsible for 1000s of abductions and placement of children into warfare and into slave labor mining the soil for elements that run our fancy electronics in the 1st world countries. It is good news but many rebel groups still terrorize the people of that country.
     


    Boys' brigade: soldiers from a Congolese rebel group. It is estimated
    that there are tens of thousands of child soldiers across the world
     Photo: AP
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/4360268/Child-soldiers-the-brothers-trained-to-kill-each-other.html

    Just had a good walk of 2.5 miles that was punctuated by 4 calls to family -- first Nick, at work who'll I'll call later; Lindsay, who is planning to come up after Thanksgiving my plane (will arrange flight this week); Doug, who is planning to drive up the week of Thanksgiving (perhaps Nick could accompany him???); and finally, Susan, who I briefed on the Hospice situation and checked in on her work with the Church -- busy as always but really enjoying the preaching and working with her parishioners, Jan will be getting a treatment tomorrow and is being challenged by the chemo but mom is there and I'm certain a great comfort, Susan calls and she gets texts from her big sister. So good to be batting 1.000 with calls tonight to family. And had a good walk, too. Well, it's time to say goodnight and make sure that dad is comfortable. As Susan remarked, there will be challenges and I will need to be adaptable. Blessed be and so be it. May it be so. 

No comments: