Saturday, November 9, 2013

9 November 2013: Saturday ... that's why there's no PT on WACG ...

It's a brilliant day and it is moving fast as 9 a.m. approaches and dad rests behind me, making comforting breathing sounds (he says he slept 9 hours last night, he so needed it), on the bed in the TV room and I need to get Dancer outside. The air was chill earlier, before sunrise as I saw it as I exhaled but it will warm considerably today. It's going to be a gorgeous day.

Addendum: Why I remember these important events of the day on the day after, I do not know, but I made my first call to the 24 HR line for Delaware Hospice. It concerned the care of my mother and not my father. Mom decided to take a bath and I drew the water and thought she could do for herself. I checked that she was OK and then attended to some items, one of which included working on the computer (a charge leveled by my brother and indeed, may be true, despite my disputing it, but I was in the TV room when I heard dad taking care of mom after her bath ... she has a fungal infection that has caused a rash and it needs attention, really, as it smells to high heaven, but he can't do this care anymore so thus the call to De Hosp ... I spoke to a wiry and bouncy Hispanic woman, I think, on my way to get a bone for Dancer and a checkup date at the local vet hospital, who told me and recited my message to our case manager, Beth Kincaid, which will be handled on Monday ... we need a CNA to help mom with her bath, at least once a week, and an RN to change the bandage on her rash. There is a possibility that they can handle this concern, despite the fact that she is not THE patient in hospice, her husband is. We shall see.)

AddendumOn a related care note, dad was having a little respiratory difficulty. We did a pulse oxygen and it registered in the 90s, but I started him on the supplemental oxygen and when I went to change the tank I found that one that I brought from my room was empty. (I learned from RSA person, who I called, that they can leak out over time. It had been about a year since they delivered this oxygen. I did find one that was filled, figured out how to affix the guage and then let loose the gas -- WOW!!! what force as it blew off the urinal from the table above onto the floor. Well, the client is mom because, as dad told me, rather surreptitiously, you need a doctor's prescription and a pulse oxygen in the 80s to get the respiratory service covered by Medicare -- dad has neither of those requirements to receive the breathing assistance -- ... regardless, they will be here on Monday to replace the tanks and check the ones we have. 

Today is the 64th birthday of Randy Raymond, recovering from bariatric surgery, and Nicola Dovey, whose age is younger and I am not privy to, but it is also, more importantly, the 75th anniversary of the “Kristallnacht” attacks, which mark the unofficial start of the Holocaust. Here is the link, provided by findingDulcinea and it's e-mail about daily history:  http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/November/Kristallnacht-Attacks-Mark-Unnofficial-Start-of-Holocaust.html

Kristallnacht, night of broken glass, Kristallnacht shop

                 A ransacked Jewish-owned shop in an unnamed German town, November 1938.

I had this wonderful exchange with a FB friend, who I don't know personally, who shared the above link and this story (Dad is sleeping soundly behind me.):

Thank you Susan for sharing this link, which I just read to my father who was 10 years old when this occurred in neighboring Holland. All the best, rudy
9:33am
You are more than welcome. I have a very large, extended family in Germany. Although they were not Jewish, one of my great aunt's had a developmental disability, perhaps CP, although no one really knows. She lived in an institution. Our family knew a doctor who had inside information on when the Gestapo would be arriving to take people away. For a time they were able to move her from place to place to keep her safe, until one day they did not get word in time and she disappeared, forever, just like so many others. What evil, evil people.
Oh, my gracious. This is the POWER of social media Susan that you can share a stunningly moving and heart wrenching story like that with me. I am honored, touched and of course, close to tears. Be so well and thank you for sharing so eloquently such a family story.



As the day moves forward and dad rests behind me, I played this YouTube audio recording of Dylan Thomas reading his famous poem about his father. The poet died 60 years ago at the age of 39.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRec3VbH3w

A reading of 

"Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

 by Dylan Thomas.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dad was asking about this artist, who I bought a CD of and which I can't locate at present but I did find this YouTube link to this piece that dad will recognize, immediately, from 1935:

Louis Davids - Als je voor een dubbeltje geboren bent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dLCg1cDjU
Had an amazing FB conversation with Mike Kelsey, my old and older, High Alpha at Lambda Chi Alpha, who is extremely well read and mentioned this book and a search brought me to this New York Sunday Book article from April of 2011. It was one of the many books he mentioned in his post revolving around my post for the 75th anniversary of Kristellnacht in Nazi Germany, 9 November 1938.
The book was Dancing In The Glory of Monsters ...

DANCING IN THE GLORY OF MONSTERS

The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa
By Jason K. Stearns
380 pp. PublicAffairs. $28.99.

No comments: