Monday, November 25, 2013

25 November 2013: Monday, crisp and cold morning that dawned beautifully ... Doug made the coffee in the new Mr.Coffee ...


Displaying photo.JPG
There I am as a toddler in a framed photo in the back and present day, 57, shaving my dad with the recently purchased Norelco electric shaver, which works surprisingly well. The trimmer even did his sideburns and the hair on the nape of his neck. All in all, a good shave that satisfied our particular father, especially about his shaving.

Today is the 2nd day that I will take up the suggestion of the guest minister today at UUSMC to write down five (5) things that I am thankful for:
  1. Doug's presence here has been just great. His meals are wonderful and he calls his daughter "creechlet" (phonetic spelling). 
  2. Having the opportunity to shave and trim up dad.
  3. Spending the day with Dancer and feeding her egg in her food which she loves.
  4. Hearing mom tell dad that she loved him.
  5. Feeling the chill of the early morning air and seeing my breath.
Mom got in the bath today and did a fine job bathing. Afterward, she walked down the hallway and spoke up the steps to her husband, "I love you", and "I'm sorry I can't get up the steps". It was such a nice gesture. 


Dancer has spent a majority of the day indoors today. It started out
cold but warmed into a clear and now clouding up day. A Nor'Easter
is headed this way from the west and may threaten Thanksgiving travel
plans for many that could include my Lindsay who flies out after. 

Doug has been amazing today with his cooking and his handling of concerns with mom and dad. He cooked mom an omelette and heated up the Bachetti's meat loaf dinner for mom, and he saw to dad's needs also. In fact, as he prepared mom's meal I watched the conclusion of a disappointing James Bond film, the most recent, Skyfall. I did not complete the final 8 minutes of the film as I thought it pointless. Regardless, I listen now to the baby monitor that is linked to the receiver in dad's room and it turns on occasionally, triggered, I guess, by sounds in his room. It comes on suddenly and it is clear and loud. Should be very helpful during the evening. Today, dad told me that he'd fallen during the night and I had no idea because the monitor was turned off. It won't be from now on.

Dad did make it down to the bathroom, washed his face and then went into mom's bedroom and sat in the corner, taciturn as he has been for the past weeks, I called it a meditative mood. Doug was up and asked about beverages. I took the bait and baited him by asking for coffee, which I received, and other sweets or goodies. He left got coffee for dad and me and later brought up tea for mom. He did not bring sweets but it was very nice of him. Having a good time on a rather slow day, which dawned very cold and warmed into a beautiful day but the front is headed this way and we will be getting precipitation mid-week and there is a chance that travel over the Thanksgiving holiday will be affected by the weather. Hope it doesn't affect Lindsay's travel plans.





No comments: