Wednesday, January 15, 2014

15 January 2014: Wednesday ... When it rain, it pours, especially when you're napping mid-morning ... Carol, the Jehovah's Witnesses (who will come back), and Skeesha's call ...

Just had an idea for a daily entry on the blog ... why not, like I did in my classroom, have a Word Of The Day (WOTD). One of my FB friends, who I didn't know at Dickinson HS (she graduated in '75), Charla Larrimore, lives now in Hawaii (always wishing me 'aloha') and is a graduate of Stanford University. She is one smart individual. Well, she's sent me a WOTD for the past two days through instant messaging on FB.

Here's the first, or make that the second that she sent, which is part of the definition and not the exact word, but I love the definition offered up from the web site m-w.com. 

  1. pecksniffian -- unctuously hypocritical

    Philadelphia is the most pecksniffian of American cities, and thus probably leads the world.  - H. L. Mencken



  2. I began this post with the phrase: "When it rain, it pours." Well, what did I mean? I was napping in my jammie bottoms and dad's leather slippers on the couch, listening to WHYY radio and the front bell sounds. It is the volunteer from Delaware Hospice, Carol, who has volunteered for 5 years as a companion and is a retired Special Education teacher from southeastern Pennsylvania for 10 years and happy to be so. It was hard and demanding work and her colleagues were not helpful. She has a wonderful visit with mom, who comments, initially on her name and its matching her sister. Mom loves people and it's good for her to have this companionship. She will return, weekly, to share some time with mom. I think it is good.

    Just moments later (here comes the rain), a couple of women, Jehovah's Witnesses, were at the door to talk about my faith. I stated, without equivocation, that I was "agnostic humanist" and a Unitarian Universalist. A lot of big terms, the woman said. And I was up front with my lack of belief and she wanted a conversation and I did, too. She left me with an interesting doc entitled Was Life Created? and it is surprisingly on topic and relatively unbiased. It's basis is the fact that ALL this complexity on earth, all its cycles and species and balance could not possibly have arisen by chance. There had to be a creator. Oh, if it were only that simple.
Had a good walk over 2 miles and avoided the mud on the sidewalks and circled St. John the Beloved School and Maplecrest in a mist that wetted Dancer and my jacket, pulled up over my neck (still have a lingering cold and tightness in my throat) and my hat over my ears, a necessity on this chilly, wet night, where the cars seem a lot closer on Milltown than they appear when I move to cross the road.

Some good PBS programs tonight. Fascinating piece on the German Zeppelins, made from cow's intestine (collagen) for its outer shell. It took a quarter million cows intestines to cover one zeppelin. They had a fleet of over a dozen and they flew over England and performed the first bombing runs, many incendiary. As a defense, the Brits put up the first rinky-dink fighters but they had to figure out how to shoot down these enormous, aircraft-carrier size structures. It didn't ignite with regular bullets. You needed to make a large hole to introduce oxygen that made the hydrogen explode and burn. A young pilot took down one and became an immediate hero. He made three passes and his last poured all his firepower into one section and opened up a large enough holed that ignited the gas and brought down the huge craft. Just incredible. 

The German commander in charge of the Zeppelins went on the last air assault and was shot dead in the craft going over the English Channel. Just desserts for a warrior who brought killing onto civilians during war, innocence on the ground.

*Something to note ... I did write Lindsay today!



No comments: