Thursday, January 23, 2014

23 January 2014: Thursday ... the chill continues ... to the Y twice today ... Flyers' losing streak reaches three ...

We got our medications, thankfully, dropped off, as usual, almost clandestinely and furtively on the front doorstep by FedEx and everything was there. Mom has her med for the coming week at least. Calls from Beth were most helpful.

Worked out at the Y this afternoon with weights and did a selection of available ones and had to modify my workout on the computer. Ended with the stair step machine and that kicks your butt. I made it to the top of Big Ben or 37 floors and was spent. It's hard work and of course, great cardio, if you can stand it.



Made it back to the "Y" for a primer by Jennifer Fawzi, a trained instructor in LesMills workouts (which I will take -- her class -- on Monday), in the early evening and it was quite helpful and instructive. Working out consistently has certainly been in her favor as she is fit, attractive and I would say, middle aged. She gave a thorough description of cycling and her own discipline of lifting weights during a workout with songs. The name eludes me at present, have brochures downstairs which I'm too lazy, or what the heck, it's called BODYPUMP and you use weights and lift in traditional poses but do extended reps. Should be interesting.


The walk tonight was another chill one and mom called me as I circumnavigated Mealey's Funeral Home about a need for morphine. Told her it would be about 30 minutes. I crossed the road, tentatively, as the cars come quickly and the snow is a dangerous deterrent, but I made it into Limestone Acres past the homes (probably moved by now) of the Snyders (Rocky and Jay) and the McCauley's (cannot recall his name, my age who always impressed me with doing his homework on the bus before he got home, oh Greg, and who I learned later in life was treated for a mental illness), and took the first street on the left, walked an extended block to Pickwick, turned left, crossed Limestone Road, again, with care back to 4546 for a total of 1.25 miles on the digifit app. A decent walk as I received the sole word -- "Congratulations" -- in a flat, officious tone from the iPhone female-voiced app.

So disappointing to watch the Flyers tonight play the Columbus Blue Jackets in Ohio. They went ahead 2-1 only to give up the next 4 goals and lose 5-2 to their former high-price signer goal, Sergei Bobrovsky, who is on an unbeaten streak as are the BJs this January. Not so with the Flyers.


 


No comments: