Monday, January 6, 2014

6 January 2014: Monday,


  • I should be noting all the events of this important day for my mother. Have contacted her primary care physician, Dr. David Maged, and spoke to his triage nurse, Donna, who is so invested in her care and she will advise the doctor and have him call later about possible interventions to relieve her shortness of breath and more importantly, deal with her water retention.
  • At this typing, Kim, the nurse who was on call over the night of dad's passing and who pronounced him later that afternoon (after just a few hours of sleep), is with her and has been so good. She is such a kind and empathetic person. Taken her BP and says her color is good. She is now attending a possible bed sore on her rear end (I did not want to be present), but more importantly, Kim brought up two critical needs that mom as agreed to. The first is a hospital bed, which she will order, and the second is a CNA, who can assist her in bathing, particularly in the bed, a skill set that I don't even claim to possess.
  • I made this post just minutes earlier on Facebook concerning Kim's visit:

    "Sometimes you don't know where to turn. Mom's in hospice and has had a few rough days. I will forsake the details other than to say she does not have a terminal illness but has chronic health problems that necessitate her being on oxygen 24/7. She is in a delicate state. Well, once again, a savior arrived at our doorstep. She listened to her heart and lungs (clear), took her blood pressure (normal), recommended some steps in her care (both ok'ed by my mother -- a hospital bed and a CNA to help her with bathing), but most and supremely important to her bedraggled spirit was her special gift of time and sincere compassion. It is not easy to listen without giving off the feeling that one has to be somewhere else. As a third party, I listen to a remarkable dialogue between my mother, who I have known most of my life, and a young RN, who she has met her once before (she attended my father the morning of the day he died). This person, whose name is Kim, has gifted us this late morning with more than her time and her medical knowledge, for she left her patient, my mother, fortified in body and spirit.
    Thank you so much for this precious sharing."

  • Like ·  ·  · Stop Notifications · Promote
    • Linda Lucero I am so glad you and your mother have the gift of Hospice. They are truly angels on earth as well as all the caregivers who treat people with compassion and respect.
      8 hours ago · Unlike · 2
    • Becky Peita Rudy I'm so sorry you're at this point in your life. It is hard to become a caregiver to someone who has always cared for you. My mom just passed away in June from dementia, among other things. Hospice was wonderful and definitely helped us as well as my mom say our final goodbyes. I assume you are no longer in the Augusta area?
      8 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Carol Seay Witzell This is lovely, Rudy...both of my parent's needed Hospice care...and I found them to be the most compassionate nurses and aids in the world! Not one single one; ever gave us pause...how lucky for both you and your mother will benefit greatly from this service!
      8 hours ago · Unlike · 2
    • Diane Redgate Glad to read your mother is receiving quality care. Best wishes to you both for a wonderful new year.
      8 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Kathleen Murray Okarski Glad to hear that your mom received such a person, the people that work in hospice are true angels, not only for the patient but their family as well. We will be in touch soon.
      7 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 2
    • Jan Muto Good karma. Glad to hear she is hanging in there!
      7 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Cindy Hanifee Jackson A compassionate hospice nurse is a blessing. We had to throw one out with my dad but the others were wonderful. Good luck
      7 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
    • Ruth Berry very sorry Rudy
      7 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    • Lori Jones You are fortunate that you have someone like her to be there. I know this must be very wearing emotionally for you. Keep strong Rudy. We love you. Kiss my Aunt Jean for me. xoxo
      7 hours ago · Unlike · 2
    • Deborah Lloyd Norsworthy So nice to hear. She sounds like she is meant for this type of interaction. So happy for your Mom and for you. I have been through this too and it makes such a difference in their quality of life. Thanks for sharing..... SO sorry to hear you are facing this again so soon.
      7 hours ago · Unlike · 2
    • LaTonga Williams I know that this is difficult for you to see your mom not feeling well. My mother and I took care of my grandma while I was at sego and I will tell you that caregiving is a difficult job but a rewarding one. I will continue to pray for strength for u and also for ur mom
      6 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
    • Susan Louth Kim sounds like a true angel. You have most certainly been surrounded by good people since your move back to DE. Amen for that, and, as somebody mentioned above, there's definitely good karma in the Nyhoff household. Strength heading your way, again. xo
      6 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 2
    • Gina Mancini Becker ditto....true Angel  xoxo
      5 hours ago · Unlike · 2
    • Margaret Sargent Meyers What a beautiful tribute, Rudy. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
      4 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 2
    • Harriet C. Brantley You are an amazing and patient son. Blessing to you.
      4 hours ago · Unlike · 3
    • Laurie Taylor Jackson Blessings to you and your family, Rudy.
      3 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
    • Vicki Gaither Proefrock So sorry, Rudy, for all you're going through.....holding you in the light.
      2 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
    • Rudy Nyhoff An addendum: Thank you, thank you, all of you caring and wonderful people who took the time to read my post and then took some more to write your comforting words. It means, well, that I am not alone and on this planet of 7 billion people, where it's easy to feel that way, it is an amazing gift. 

      The nurse Kim got back to me with news about her discussion with mom's doctor. We are adjusting her meds and she will be replenishing others through the drug services of Delaware Hospice. She is resting comfortably at present and I'm hopeful that this state continues.
    • Karen Lesko Rudy I have had 4 family members in hospice and the people who work in hospice are truly angels. You are going through so much right now and are in our thoughts and prayers!

    Displaying photo.JPG
    Kim, who has four boys ages 9 to 2 and two brothers (she's extremely close to her mother), was the RN on duty the last night of dad's life. She came over in the early morning to try to care for him and then, later in the day, was called to pronounce him. Mom met her only at that time and shared amazing stories with this compassionate, empathetic, highly skilled nurse with listening skills to die for, literally. She is in the right profession. Just look at her face, total focus on her patient, my mother. Thank you Kim for your attention, your love and concern.

No comments: