Monday, June 30, 2014

30 June 2014: Monday ... Rosy-fingered dawn ... lost & found iPhone ... Hospice re-connect ... Jayne & Mike on FB ... Mill Creek return ...

As I filled the bird feeder to the delightful chirping of the birds, I felt a presence, an ambiance of glow and light and thought of the phrase that dad taught me, one of the ancient Greek phrases, an epithet, the "rosy-fingered dawn", from Homer's The Odysseyand which he would pronounce in the original language, which I forget now, regrettably. It was part of his final exam after 4 or 5 years of Greek at the Gymnasium Haganum in The Hague, all in the original Homeric version. It was tough, he said.  


Cannot believe what the "Smart Phone" era has brought to my life. It is bliss and bitchiness. Today, I was certain that I'd forgotten my phone when I got to the Y. Had no idea how I could have forgotten it as I had it on the ledge of the bookshelf as I leave through the front door. Well, did the exercise thing with Helena in Body Pump (recently returned from a Les Mills' training of several thousand in New Orleans where the founder, age 85, was present) and then the ever-effervescent Amy leading Body Combat afterward and came home expecting to find the phone. It was not where I thought and then I learned that Skeesha had been there early and I thought, against all reason, that she might have taken it. Called Hospice, they sent her a text to call, she got right back to me and said she had not seen it. I believed her wholeheartedly. So, for one last time, checked the care with mom's cell, which is still working, and phoned my iPhone and there came the ring in the car. The phone had slipped off the center and stuck to the side of the passenger seat. I had already sent e-mails to Credo telling them that I'd misplaced the phone and needed their assistance and tried to reach Verizon to continue service for mom's cell. All for naught and then the sense of relief. When will it end? I need to be more disciplined and write out a series of set-in-stone steps for leaving with the cell in the morning and never waver from it. Never! 

Just ran into Jayne Rizner on FB and sent her a friend request and sent an FYI to Susan, too. Her family pics are wonderful and Mike, who I also friended, looks as youthful as ever, but Davis Haskins, Nick's age, what height (he towers over Mike) and what a beard on that young man (a lot like Jay Mills'). The couple look very much still in love and I am so happy for them. Jayne is such a terrific person and incredibly free spirit. She is the epitome of the word "UNIQUE". There ain't any other like that spontaneous, funny person. What a laugh that engenders joy in others. 

Photo: Having already made her belly plunge and lapped up some water in the Mill Creek, Dancer ponders her next pathway.
Dancer after a dip in the Mill Creek behind and below Limestone
Acres -- it's a steep hillside down to the creek level and there's a
lot of brush between the path and the water. We found an opening
but there were thorns and unsteady rocks. 

Tammie Smith, a blast from my Hospice Care of Augusta volunteer stint, called today. So nice of her to touch base. I think she thought I was still in Augusta as she did not know about my parental care or the death of dad. She had an unhappy experience at HCA and is now much happier at a non-profit hospice care facility, but it was so good to hear from her. 

Great, scattered walk tonight, a little over an hour, starting on Pickwick to the steep hillside drop to the thickly wooded backdrop of Limestone Acres leading to the Mill Creek and then the pathway, unpeopled, along the the creek leading to Limestone and Milltown and then across the roadway to Old Milltown and then across Limestone to the Church and a mother/daughter (who I did not speak to but Dancer wanted to meet) tilling a good sized garden in the back of the Limestone Church, where the funeral of Jay Mills' mother was held going over 40 years ago (were we in elementary or junior high school?) and then past the shopping center and across the busy intersection and onto Cratchett, past the Melsons' home, and then onto Nicholby and home. A little over 3 miles.


No comments: