Saturday, June 7, 2014

7 June 2014: Saturday ... **Marissa, Sean & Mia visit** ... FB message with Jihed Khiary ... Shirley Crum Fencl's book order ...

Displaying photo.JPG
In the Philly area for a Finn family reunion (John's 9 brothers & sisters
grew up in Philly), Marissa, in her utter and loving beneficence, brought
her adoring and lovely children, Sean & Mia, to come visit us -- Mom and
me, but mostly, Dancer. Mia just loves our dog.

Displaying photo.JPG
Mia & Sean just love Dancer.

This FB interchange between a brilliant university student, Jihed Khiary, in Tunisia, and myself is a developing joy. She is utterly remarkable in her prescience and sense of astute understanding of all things beautiful. Here is copy of our correspondence this early morning, when I awoke to read her first message at a little after 5 a.m. and into the early afternoon of this Saturday, 7 June 2014:
Thank you so much You reminded of earlier this year when the International Stuttgart Bach Academy came to Tunisia and I was so lucky to attend the rehearsal and the concert. They sang "Jesu, meine Freude" and played the Orchestral Suite n°3 in D major among other great works. They were amazing If they go to the US, try not to miss them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIBh8lK9hY Have a great day!
9 hours ago
I had no idea you'd seen the group. Our old friend serendipity showing up again. Wunderbahr (sic)! Thank you for the link. I will listen with joy.

Yes, wunderBACH
WunderJIHED aussi
about an hour ago


you innovate
My apologies ... should have come with a forewarning. Listening to Lyric Opera broadcast of Verdi's La Traviata. Great soprano role of Violetta (just heard name as I'm no opera aficionado),

People say it to me all the time and it's the first time I'm gonna say it to someone: "NO NEED to apologize, whatsoever"
Lyric is out of Chicago, Illinois (please pardon me if I'm insulting your impressive intelligence),
WFMT radio

I'm no opera aficionado either, but I've seen a production of La Traviatta here in Tunis. Oh you're so lucky to have specialized radio stations!!!

In this corner of the world, there are only shows that i make sure not to miss Sometimes, I even stay up especially to listen to this show that airs every tuesday from midnight to 2 am
It's just NPR ... there's certainly an Internet feed I would imagine. (You keep late hours for the right reasons,)

I hope so... I tried looking some stations up only to find out that they're only available in their "home" country

A dear friend of mine studies violin at the national music institute. But she also loves opera; Here's her rendition of Estrano from La Traviata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS9DyrMfP1w
The French counter tenor Philippe Jaroussky was an accomplished violinist before studying voice. Ridiculous how talented some people are. Thanks for sharing your friend's great gift.

Some people are very, very impressive

Extraordinary is too tepid a term to describe your friend's artistry ... she has an incredible voice. There are so many places in that phenomenally difficult aria to go wrong, she DID NOT! She is going places with that voice. All the best to her & thank you for sharing, (i will check out that "funny recap", too).

She really is amazing
I shouldn't, it's so cruel to laugh but a lot of opera plots are so saccharine and just plain stupid ... I think "operaswag" pretty much nailed La Traviata for its silly story line. But the music, that's where Joe Green (alias, Giuseppi Verdi) hit a home run.

I laughed out loud too
(To comment on yourHonestly, your friend, as she and her teachers probably know too well, has a very promising career ahead of her.

We're very proud of her! And I'm sure she's going to make it to the top, cause besides her talent, she's a very generous and modest person.

This was at a masterclass with Ivan Konsulov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJ2dMXrkB0



Just ordered through Abe Books -- The 2R's: paragraph to essay by 
Shirley Crum Fencl, Susan G. Jager WileyJan 1, 1979 - Language Arts & Disciplines - 394 pages -- but for the life of me, I could not get my new Visa card information put on the web site. They took my order and it will be filled using a previous and expired credit card for the grand sum of $4 for Shirley's book, which I want for nostalgic reasons.
           



No comments: