Friday, June 6, 2014

6 June 2014: Friday ... 70th anniversary of D-Day ... bird feed disappearing at a prodigious rate ... Y locker locked ... extended workout (Core w/Jennifer and Body Pump w/Katie? next to Liz Beth) ... Greek Festival with Katia


Caught her early this Friday morning as I'd just finished filling the bird feeder.
Our guard "dogs" the backyard on an early Friday morning. Don't try to get past a vicious (NOT) Dancer to access our home from the rear. — with Dancer.
L

  • Susan Louth
     She's just doing her job. 
    8 hrs · Unlike · 2

  • Carol Taylor
     Defender of the downspout.
    4 hrs · Unlike · 1

  • Kathie Howe
     A couple of years ago my godson went to my house while i was at work (he had been living back in Kansas so my dogs didn't know him). He called me and said that Tanner barked at him a little then went back in her closet, and that my Golden Retriever Peepers followed him around with a tennis ball in his mouth!!!! Great watchdogs!!!
    3 hrs · Edited · Unlike · 3
  • Rudy Nyhoff Dancer probably wouldn't retreat into her "closet" Kathie, but she would insist on being petted. The tennis ball is out of the question. She never chases anything, has no interest. 
    3 hrs · Like · 4

  • Victoria DeMoss
     She is a beautiful dog!!
    1 hr · Unlike · 1

  • Rudy Nyhoff
     And don't forget scary Victoria. Would you venture into a stranger's backyard if you saw a ferocious animal like Dancer? I doubt it.
    46 mins · Like · 1


Unusual occurrence today in the Western Y locker room. I came back after my workouts to

find that someone had placed a combination lock on my locker. I checked all the

other lockers, just in case I was mistaken as to the proper one, but, with the help of


Derek
, the competent staff member at the front desk, the one with the phenomenal abs

and superlative conditioning, who checked too, the lock was snipped off with some

heavy-duty vice grip clippers. Amazing tool to severe this lock. 



Received a link to a wonderful lecture on one of the early cantatas by Bach by 

Rudolf Lutz, Artistic Director of the J.S. Bach Foundation, and Pastor Karl Graf,

 guide us in our appreciation
 of the cantata. I posted it on my FB page and sent links to

Jihed Khiary and Larry Millen.

BWV 73 "Herr, wie du willt" -- O, Lord as thou wilt.


Need to order more Wagner's Songbird Supreme bird food. Just ran out this afternoon after only half-filling the bird feeder. Will check online. Better to just buy it at Home Depot ... with postage, it's a lot more expensive than the about $12 it costs in the store for an 8-pound bag. Have to look for a more economical brand.

I'm playing an actual record for the first time in months, literally, and it's, you guessed it, a Bach Cantata, one of the dozens in the cabinet, bottom shelf, in the dining room. Dad collected all 200 of so of J. S. Bach's sacred works. He would write one a week for periods of time for the various celebrations of the Lutheran calendar.

Have not heard from Katia yet, am getting a little concerned. Thought I would mention the Greek Festival at 808 N. Broom Street. Have never been but there'll be music and food and in all likelihood, a lot of people. 

  1. abonner -- to subscribe
  2. niveau -- level

    Listening to French classical radio (
    Radio Accent 4, la musique classique en Alsace) and the music is lovely, violin & piano that I have no idea who composed but sounds 19th century, very impassioned. Where it is being broadcast from, Strasbourg in Alsace, the 5th smallest of France's 27 regions, is right along the Rhine River in the northeastern portion of France, next to Germany and Switzerland. 

I just became FB friends with Savanna Fisher, Nick's new girlfriend, and she is dynamic having sent me a wonderful FB message tinged with apology for not responding to my FB message and suggestion for an Upworthy video. She is well read and knows the Hollimons from church. I think this is a good thing that Nick has met her. 
Displaying photo.JPG
At the Greek Festival, which we both attended for the first time, Katia ran into a Unitarian Church family friend, Adriana and her unidentified friend. Her husband was Steve (not pictured).


Posted from the Greek Festival, it had 20 likes already and 4 comments
when I got back home after 11:30 p.m.

Displaying photo.JPG
We look a bit serious as joyful dancing and music was going on in the background.

Before it's lost in the ether of neuronal connections in my erring brain, I want to note at least three occurrences last evening at the Greek Festival and afterward, stargazing in Rockford Park, and then redemption on I-95 to the Harvey Road exit to Katia's home.

First of all, the Greek Festival was packed, we parked a reasonable few blocks beyond the entrance to the event, passing by Tilton Park, a green space, named after an historic figure in medicine, the first Surgeon General (?) of the U.S. and first president of the Delaware Medical Society in the early 19th century. We ate inside ... Katia a salad, me green beans & orzu (an Italian pasta/tomato sauce dish) and a roll ... we sat next to a Greek aficionado, a little eccentric but funny, when he waxed astonishment at my confusion of the spinach dish spannakopita and lamb, which I've never had to the bewilderment of my date and to this man, who suggested the best place for eating this meat dish was near West Chester in a restaurant called Mythos (long "i" sound). We stayed to watch the dancing and listen to the joyful music (it is true expression of living with love when the Greeks dance, the music is infectious and the dancing transportive) and I took the rather somber selfie above. She was not in a great mood but I think it got lightened by the evening's activities.

We left and walked the neighborhood and into Tilton Park and then onto stargaze at Rockford Park in its stillness, going against the rules which bans usage after sundown. Later, we were asked to leave by a passing patrol car as we sat, parked in the common area looking up through the sunroof at the stars, all of whom I have little idea what they are. It was a nice moment but they can come with barbs and later I used language that was hurtful as I began to feel sorry for myself and my relationship status (nil).

But when you're at your lowest, it's time to move forward, not retreat, for it is easy to become vindictive, difficult to work toward forgiveness and understanding. I did the latter and we were the both better for it. Tonight was a wonderful time. I so enjoy being with Katia, she is a dear, dear friend and I want her to be well and happy. 

No comments: