Friday, May 23, 2014

22 May 2014: Thursday ... early workout w/Cheri (Cardio, Core & More) ... Kristin conversation ... Stacy comin' over ... overcast "Yucky" day ... lunch next week w/Stacy & Mom

An early workout today -- 6 a.m. -- with Cheri and Cardio, Core & More  (tough workout with a half-dozen women ... did a lot of balance work and jumping on the bosu ... I found it difficult but sweaty work, definitely raised my heart rate for an hour) allowed me to talk a bit with Kristin, manning the entrance desk alone this morning, the day after her graduation with an RN degree from Del Tech. She is working and studying to pass her boards in about 6 weeks and will be off to Zambia to be with her husband, Kabaya (a Zambian native), who is a white water instructor on the Zambezi River. There are over 70 native languages in the country where she will be working in a health clinic that serves thousands. She will be gone for two months, leaving the second week of August. She will be missed, terribly. Such an engaging and lovely presence at the entrance to the Western Y. 

Up the Zambezi without a paddle
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/9929393/Comic-Relief-up-the-Zambezi-without-a-paddle.htmlDisplaying photo.JPG

Another wonderful session with Stacy washing and cutting mom's hair. WE  really do not see
enough of her. She's working odd 12-hour shifts and she is busy with the house and Joe and just life. We did bring up the possibility of doing lunch, together, mom included, at Cafe Valentina's, next to Happy Harry's as Stacy put it, next week. Mom was enthusiastic but wary ... could it mean her being removed from hospice. I said no way, they want you to demonstrate wellness and initiative, they're not just in the palliative medical business.

While ordering my usual veggie omelette, rye toast, and home fries at Mary's Kountry Kitchen this early afternoon, I got a FB message from Patricia Childs. Erika, Joe's girlfriend, passed away last night due to complications following surgery. She was home with Joe and I have no other details. A tracheotomy had been performed the day earlier in the hospital and he felt as though she came home too soon. I have sent a card and I just composed (don't know how appropriate to send a digital condolence via Facebook) these words to my gentle, gifted musician:
Dear Joe, Patricia informed me of Erika's passing last night and I don't know whether it's appropriate to FB message my sincere condolences (a card is in the mail), but I am heartstruck at your loss and wanted you to know that my thoughts and yes prayers (concentrated beams of caring) reach out to you at your time of grief. Please know that if there is anything I can do for you, I will without hesitation, even hundreds of miles away. I am with you my friend and wish only the best for you ... please take care and accept the ministrations of all who love and feel your pain. In loving and everlasting humankindness, rudy Just watched, thanks to the FB post of Loyd Dillon, a fascinating video of an interview with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle talking about the origin of Sherlock Holmes (modeled after a medical school professor with uncanny diagnostic powers) and his dedication and study and belief of spiritualism to contact the dead, which he affirmed with absolute certitude as true. As a result of watching this and reading the astute commentary on Loyd's post, I FB friended an individual, who I think is a freelance writer married to a medical professor of surgery in Terra Haute, Indiana by the name Leah Cummins Guinn (). She wrote a startlingly vivid and well composed piece on the spiritualism of Sir Arthur. She accepted my friend request immediately and we shared a few FB messages. Amazing connectivity and enlightenment through social media. 

No comments: