Tuesday, May 20, 2014

20 May 2014: Tuesday ... meeting Anne Dunlap thanks to Gwen ... Katia and biking/brunch ... Bob and Alice ... bike rack & helmet


Displaying photo.JPG

Gwen Hays, yoga and fitness instructor at the Western Y, introduced me to an extraordinary young woman this late morning, Anne Dunlap, who taught me about perseverance in the face of adversity and disability. She was injured severely in a car accident at age 18 in 1998 (she is a graduate of St. Mark's HS and Del Tech, where she earned her 2-year degree in four years -- she had planned to attend Virginia Tech until the accident with her boyfriend on Kirkwood Highway when their stalled car was struck by a DART bus). She asked that I write her an e-mail and I thought why not take a selfie of us on the tread mill. It does not do her justice as she she is an exquisitely beautiful young lady who could model with her looks. What a delight to get to meet her today thanks to Gwen's initiative. 


Hurried texts with Katia and her proximity to Bob and Alice prompted her request that I pick her up to visit my mom. She also mentioned riding bikes. her own. She wants to start getting some exercise. As a result, my mind went whirring and I called and then e-mailed Bob with the request to bring a visitor to brunch on Saturday. He responded right away and said bring her on, so I'll pick up Katia with my new bike rack (which I just ordered from Amazon) and my new bike helmet (also ordered from Amazon with 2-day shipping, so I should get it by Thursday). 

No comments: