Wednesday, October 16, 2013

16 October 2013: On this Wednesday morn, a Breakfast bonanza, Dancer awaits release, two IMPT calls, Mom makes an appetizer, Dad EATS two plates of kale/sausage ...

My FB post on dad's appetite this morning, a joy to behold after last night's mini-fall and unsteady gait and early bedtime and inability to engage Gerrit and Marli who brought Dutch goodies and another meal (kale with the usual beef sausage, which I ate with relish).


"Breakfast Bonanza ... why yes, indubitably. Some days are good, some days are not so good, all the others are middling (whatever that is); but this morning, a request(s) for beschuit (Dutch word for Holland rusk) with liverwurst, Cream of Wheat and a cup of tea is a wealth of calories and indicative of a appetite return. Alleluia it feels good preparing food for the old man. 

Today is critical as vital resources need consultation. Wish us luck in contacting them. Have a great day! Ours has started, marvelously."


Dancer awaits release out the backdoor before dawn. Actually, she will get fastened to a lengthy cord that allows some exploration but chasing neighborhood rabbits is not an option.


This is just incredible. In a couple of phone calls, one initiated by dad to Dr. David Maged's office and mine to Mealey Funeral Home. WE have appointments for both tomorrow in the afternoon. Mealey will come to our home so mom can be part of the discussion after the doctor's appointment at our convenience. The person who answered the phone, who works downtown, was Marilyn Renai (maiden name), who remembered dad as her dad's (Frank Renai) doctor. He diagnosed lung cancer and got a surgeon to operate. "He gave me 9 more years with my father," she said. I put together the following post on FB and got huge praise from Loyd Dillon in a FB messaging exchange

(
Thanks Loyd for liking my post.
A facile mind like yours and good writing like yours is EASY to like, Rudy.
10:57am
WOW ... I am so flattered from probably the greatest FB poster that I've ever read in my social media experience to be called "facile" and "good".
Haha! Now I'm the one who's flattered. Thank you, my friend.
Ditto, buddy!).


So honored.
"Divine intervention ... uh, uh ... don't believe in it. Human beneficence ... maybe, I do believe in that as a humanist. Blind luck and serendipity ... that's it, probably. 

Father called the doctor's office who'll be taking over the care of mom and seeing my dad ... "How does 2:15 p.m. tomorrow work for an appointment?" (Huh, what, the next day ... we'll be there with records in hand). Call to the funeral home around the corner ... "Your father found lung cancer in my father and he had surgery and it gave me 9 more years with my dad," the woman said. Dad remembered him and the surgeon's name who did the surgery. "We can meet with you in your home after your doctor's appointment, call us if you are delayed," she added later.

What? Dear Lord are you looking over us? I just changed my spiritual tune (NOT)."


Sent mom a text from Milltown Park where I let Dancer run freely for the first time it read: Great walk in Milltown Park. Home in 10 minutes. Luv ya. Mom got it and read it. When I got home, gave her a short texting lesson and she came up with a response, which she typed on her own, after I'd returned of course: "See ya".

My FB post read:


"See ya" ... Two tiny words in the digital superhighway but one huge message in the texting world (aka, my mother's first text to my phone).

Today is the first day of chemo for Jan, 6-8 hours, and Mom had a moment to come over and say hello to me and the parents. She is an incredible person and plans, she thinks, to be here for maybe 4 and 1/2 months to be with her eldest as she goes through cancer treatment. There is a 90% chance that she will lose her hair after the first treatment, so, they have looked at wigs. Expensive, mom says. She'd just wear a pink baseball cap.



Went to Bachetti's where I got a couple of meals and from the meat department where the man folds with utter precision I ordered more liverwurst (3/4 lb.) and American cheese (1/2 lb.). Leaving, I told a regular that the "Doctor" might not be coming in again but that he was peaceful and resigned and ready. I began to tear up and then went for the door and a trip over to Pathmark to move forward and get the supplies for Norma's cheese appetizer. Life does move onward. 


Adding the mayo to the cheese appetizer recipe sent to my by Norma Clara Nyhoff this week. Mom loved doing the work and walked the hallway to point out where the cheese serving dish was located. We found it, together and now the mold is chilling in the refrigerator. 

When is a day almost perfect? --- When your mom finishes mixing the cheese appetizer, admirably and tastefully, for your dinner invite on Saturday; and you make the last mail pickup (5 p.m.) with that belated birthday card for your friend's 87-year-old father, that is a pretty close approximation to a gem of a day. Thanks ma ... you done good.

Dad finished the kale/beef sausage dish that Marli & Gerrit brought last night when he was totally out of sorts and too ill to eat, but he did tonight. Finishing one portion and then asking for the rest, which I had kept for him, just in case. Part of me wanted to eat it myself, but I've been picking all day. 

No comments: