Friday, October 25, 2013

25 October 2013: Friday ... still awaiting the arrival of Doug & Norma from their Holiday Inn hotel but it's been a busy morning (a lot of Facebook) ...

Photo: With sincere apologies to my PubMed scion (not rich, famous or important until now), here is an early portrait of the future researcher.

Started this post with an apology to my PubMed scion then looked up the meaning of "scion" and had to add an addendum in parentheses (not rich, famous or important until now), but could not help myself when I saw this photo in my room. I just love her expression and her enormous, inquisitive, searching eyes. 

Just up from downstairs and some startling words from dad, resting, eyes closed on his favorite couch, "I haven't read anything in weeks ... my Economist or New England Journal of Medicine ... it's like the air has been blown out of my body." He just yearns for quiet and doesn't even want music playing. He is just plumb exhausted, it tells in his voice and his expression. His life force is waning and he's fighting back but is losing those resources vital to survival. (He did accept my suggestion for an Ensure, his last one, and I need to go to Rite Aid and get a total of three to use a $5 off coupon on the purchase. -- I wound up buying two and could not find the coupon, but I have a new one which I will try to hold onto, meanwhile, he has 12 more bottles of vanilla-flavored Ensure; other flavors and types makes it difficult to select and get the quantity you desire. - ) I'd like to go now but Doug & Norma have not arrived yet. Think I will go anyhow as it will only take a few minutes. (I did and when I got back, the rental Chrysler 200 was in its spot on the grass strip between the sidewalk and Nicholby, they'd arrived.) 

Mom has walked the hall today, haltingly but consistently ... I help her with oxygen tube as it tends to get wrapped around her walker and she could trip, but amazingly, she never does, at least not yet but she does get exhausted and by the time she's turned and gotten back to the entrance to her bedroom she expresses her fatigue and I hear it in her breathing. Hoping that she can make it down this afternoon to enjoy and possibly prepare her famous flounder dish with her sons, daughter-in-law and her husband of nearly 58 years. 


Beautiful view of the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal from the Chesapeake Inn where we had lunch -- Dad, Norma, Doug and I. Dad had crab bisque and sashimi (raw tuna) and he ate it all, except for the rice noodles and lettuce, which I finished. All in all, a nice trip courtesy of Doug, our chauffeur, and just a beautiful day. Our waitress was Julie and she was a hoot. Kidded her about borrowing her boat and she went right along with it, just a good trip and the meal, though a bit leisurely, was still wonderful by the water on a windy day. We watched boat owners complete work on a Frankenstein plastic wrap head on the front of their small boat with arms attached ... quite realistic ... they will exhibit when the Halloween participants walk down the street and board walk of Chesapeake City, said Julie, a native of Massachusetts but a two-year resident of CC.

Just got back from a one one-hundred thousandth of a light second walk with Dancer at Bark Park. We went the less traveled route up the hill and along the horse fence path all the way around to the parking lot where they were having a Farmer's Market, small turnout that I noticed leaving in the Honda Accord, a first time for Dancer since I sold the Dodge Neon, and along the way, she actually caught and tasseled with a hedgehog and yelped. Thought she might have been bit but she had no marks and the animal seemed fine in the brush (they really are slow animals if Dancer can catch one -- how do they survive as a species?) and I continued the walk which, as my phone ran out of power, came to 2 miles according to the Digifit female voice. 

Made a reservation, at dad's suggestion, for Juliana's Kitchen tonight at 6:30 p.m., spoke to the husband, and then called back to make it later and spoke to Juliana, the cook, who remembered Dad and I coming last year. 


Just back from Juliana's Kitchen. Had wonderful meal, very filling, very sharing, a shaky dad was held by the elbow walking up the hill to the front door of the home he has lived in for 50+ years and slowly from the restaurant. He ate well and was quite full. More to add and photos tomorrow. Now, as Doug and Norma leave to go to their hotel, I need to walk Dancer around the block and get to bed myself and let dad do the same. 

No comments: