Tuesday, October 29, 2013

29 October 2013: Tuesday, another brilliant day ... I washed his sheets/cover and we made the bed this morning ...

At dad's suggestion, I washed the sheets and cover (on the highest setting for water and it still soaked it up) to his bed this morning and later, after they were dried, again, on the highest setting, we made the bed. Here he is placing the pillows into place after we put the fitted (in name only, very loose) sheet and pull-up sheet and the cover on the bed and the final touch are the pillows, which he is exacting about.
 


Dad places one of the 4 artistic pillows with attractive designs, that I'm only now noticing, onto the bed to finalize the completion of the bed. 

Went online banking to see that my debit transaction, with my new card, which I activated before heading to Tyler Fitzgerald's, had been withdrawn from dad's account. So, without thinking (and doing the right thing), I transferred my account, roughly $5,800 into dad's account, roughly $9,300 or so, and came up with a joint account amount of over $15,000. Dad has been trying to figure it out for the last hour and he's hitting roadblocks because he is so confused. I have phoned Doug but it's my thing to deal with and hopefully, things are quiet now downstairs, he will be accede to the new account situation. Doug's good suggestion was that I use my VISA credit card for transactions and pay the bill monthly, rather than use the debit and confuse dad with the amounts, which he checks everyday using the 800 phone number. Good idea!

Dad actually turned up the volume on a favorite record of his ... Horwitz live playing Rachmaninov, Chopin, and Schumann. Just amazing playing that he turned up and enjoyed recumbent in his sofa. 


Vladimir Horwitz at the concert Steinway late in his storied career.

Found and read this amazing obit in today's News Journal about a PhD chemist (from Stanford) and First Unitarian member, active and former president several times, Robert Chandler Johnson. I was inspired to send a whopping check of $10.00 to Stem Cell Research at Stanford University. Incredible life. He died after a "long struggle with Parkinson's disease."

http://shar.es/Ie2bz


Great walk at the abandoned Hercules Country Club golf course that I just thought might make for a good look see. It was and Dancer loved it. Smell haven everywhere in the overgrown fields and fairways.


Time to head toward bed. Did a little shopping this afternoon, before the walk and had a good time at the Farmer's Market, a first for me, and then a car wash and finally, a stop at Pathmark, where in just an instant, I connected with a man buying a bag of dogfood. It was on sale and he did have a Pathmark card. I told him that the checkout clerk was checking on the sale price and then he told me about his bulldog that had died suddenly and how he was his heart. They still had 2 or 3 dogs, one that is 16, who he thought would go first and didn't. No more dogs he says it's just to hard to see them die, he said. He shared that with me in just an instant. Such a gift and then he was gone and I'll never see him again. That is life, you need to grab the moment.

Listened to NPR TED program with Guy Roz and it was a repeat. The author of Half Life spoke of his injury that changed his life, he became a hemiplegic, half paralyzed and he learned all about the crash that caused his injury and went to see the driver who could not understand the hurt that he'd caused. He was not an evil person, the author said, he was just too involved in his own need to vindicate his action that day. Amazing story. His life, changed totally, has been for the better. He mentioned Victor Frankl and how you do with what you have much like Arthur Shealy, you make do and you move forward with what you have. It's all you can do.

And I did talk to Arthur today and Mrs. Shealy. He's in the bed and he has two breaks and another injury and he's only taken over the counter pain medication and managing. I hope he doesn't get any bed sores. I hope he will heal. 


No comments: