Friday, October 11, 2013

11 October 2013: Friday, Caruso, Donizetti, Una Furtiva Lagrima, cream of wheat finished ... YouTube videos galore, Stacy/Mom shine

In the morning of this rainy Friday, two absolute, make that three, joys. Dad got some rest last night as I awoke him at 7:30 a.m. and he expressed great surprise at the lateness. Brought up his breakfast -- I had already fed and "drugged" mom by 6 a.m. -- and transported Mom's serving table to hold the cream of wheat (came out well this morning), which he ate, with abandon, but not the bananas, and he did drink the tea as we listened to first Pavarotti and then a 1904 recording of Caruso singing, "Una Furtiva Lagrima" from Donizetti's opera "L'elisir d'amore", 2nd Scene, 3rd Act.

"Caruso, possessed of a magnificent, expressive, tenor voice, combined with classic technique,
was a leading operatic star, and he was the first singer to be heard by millions of people
through the newly invented gramophone."

There will be a performance of this opera by the DelawareOpera tonight and Sunday afternoon at the Grand Opera House in downtown Wilmington and I've e-mailed Gail Emerson to see if she'd like to go, dependent on how dad feels, on Sunday. It would be great if he could make it, but I could still go with Gail on my own, I guess, just came to me, if she's up for it. 


Dad asked for Toscanini so we spent 25 minutes listening to an act from Aida with those singers (Herva Nelli, Richard Tucker, et al.) and the choir under the direction of Robert Shaw and that he exultantly proclaimed, walking downstairs ... 


"What a way to begin the day!", he said, after watching Toscanini on YouTube. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxpLI5DA3M

Weber Euryanthe Overture & Brahms Symphony No. 1 - Toscanini
Here is a link to the video that I took of Dad while he listened 
to the first movement of the Brahms 1st Symphony, which I then uploaded to 

Thumbnail


Mom got downstairs for the second time in three days, she had a styling
appointment with Stacy this Friday morning. We made it to the kitchen
with the seated wheelchair and portable oxygen and Stacy washed (got a
video of it and posted to YouTube), cut, and then styled her hair 
wonderfully. She looked great as the FB post shows below:

Photo: Nothing like a wash, cut, and dry to brighten a spirit, even on a rainy, overcast day.
My  Facebook  post  read :
"
Nothing like a wash, cut, and dry to brighten a spirit, even on a rainy, overcast day."

I took an over 8-minute video of the washing process and posted it on 
YouTube  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_eBrOhLKk). It was wonderful.

 
Finishing up with a blow dry. Mom is in 7th heaven.

Great walk with Dancer in the early afternoon. She'd been 
deprived this morning because of all the activity, so she and I 
deserved it. Did the Carousel Farm, off the leash, and walk to
my alma mater. On the way, I petted a horse who came to me 
in hopes that I had an apple or a carrot. I had neither but
the horse let me pet it. Went for a little more than 3 miles, 
which surprised me but I got a good comment from Stacy in 
response to my weight -- you look good, thinner. Think it's the
walking each day 4-5 miles, twice a day. It's not too aerobic
but it builds muscle mass slowly and methodically. And it makes
you feel good. The comment felt that way even though I said I 
still had my inner tube. While walking, texted Stacy a few times
telling her that she was "undeniably, and even indubitably da 
BEST!" and also sent her the photo above the above, which she
responded to with an Lol and then later told me that the milk and
the carrots that she'd picked up at the store were in the fridge
and freezer,respectfully. I'd told dad before I left that Stacy
might be by with the groceries. "Do you need anything from the
store," she'd asked, earlier and I thought, yes, we're low on
whole mile and ate the last of the carrots, a new fav of mom
and dad, last night. She truly is fantastic!

                 

New connection with Chris Senge. We are Facebook friends and he 
has offered to use his video editing skills to put together a 
package, using my photos and videos, to illustrate the lives
of my parents. It is intriguing but don't know exactly what it
entails. Will work with it, though. Chris is a nice kid even 
if a little kooky in his Christian beliefs. His company is
SMC Senge Media Concepts, LLC and I went to the page and "Liked"
it. He's fast on the keyboard and ok'd my friend request 
posthaste. Details to follow.

Dad has stayed in his pj's all day, a "lazy day" he calls it
(I said he'd earned one after 85 years) but it's been a better.


day and he did eat some of the Dutch cookies
 (speculaas) 


and a few slices of Boar's Head liverwurst
 
and some Tapioca
pudding.               

An interesting amalgam, but any calories will do.
I'm and
he's not particular. 

It's now, as I type this, pouring outside, where Dancer is --
there is protection and she does stay, mostly, dry -- the rain
pattering on the room and side of the house. A sound from the
past, reminiscent and familiar. We have had good rain and the
Mill Creek which I passed off and on Limestone Road was swollen,
full up to the banks but not spilling over. The walk was over
3 miles and I got a horse to come up to me -- they're so large --
and petted its head (always worry about biting but this one was
tame, looking for a carrot or apple).

They announced the Nobel Peace Prize today and this organization, 
OPCW,was named as the winner -- ORGANISATION FOR THE PROHIBITION
OF CHEMICAL WEAPONS
 (Elimination of chemical weapons stockpiles and chemical weapons production faciles subject to the verification measures provided for in the Convention.)                 

Linked onto e-mail from French language service, Yabla, and we 
watched and listened to vocabulary and some intriguing videos 
including this one detailing sites in Paris, starting with the
Eiffel Tower. He asked whether I remembered going up the Tower
when we traveled to Paris. I said I did and thought we went 
together but he said we brought the whole family.

http://french.yabla.com/player_cdn.php?id=1224&tlang_id=en


Time to say good night as Dad is resting and the rain is pounding
and Marli Stam-Schouten called to say she was bringing over 
some Dutch dish from her daughter's house. She said she had a
good umbrella. She will need it. 


-30-

No comments: