Friday, October 18, 2013

18 October 2013: On this beautiful Friday morning as the sun rises ... Delft pottery saying, Toscanini/NBC & Mozart's 38th ...

 
The Delft plate, one of many, that line the wall above the cooking range in my parents' kitchen. Dad translated the Old Dutch (Alles sal rech kom.) to the words: "Everything will be alright." I went to Google Translate and got a different translation and a different spelling, "Alles zal recht kom." From that spelling I got a better approximation of the definition offered by dad, who had just completed a healthy serving of Cream of Wheat (white sugar only, please). 

Dad just informs me about the location of his insurance information in the ... what do you call it? ... he pressures me and I can't remember because he gets frustrated "WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT" ... a quick search on the Web and I come up with "glove compartment" because when he is mentally annoyed by his faulty memory, my neurons are incapacitated, too.


 
Gosh, I love this stuff. Dad said the potassium
will kill me and that's it bad for me. Fiddlesticks,
checked on Amazon and 4 bags for $21.99 fresh
from Holland.

Came up, by looking out the kitchen window and seeing a recumbent Dancer enjoying the incredible sunlight on this brilliant October day. Anything to suffice the needs of a Dancer Journal public craving another image of my beloved pet. It worked. I have a few likes, a couple of comments. 

A lazy dog enjoying the sunlight as he had not been walked yet at this late morning hour.  

File:Franz Schubert c1827.jpg
Franz Schubert in 1827 (attributed to Anton Depauly) -- I posted this because dad turned on the Classical Audio channel on his XFinity cable hookup on his television and the title for Schubert's 10th Symphony came up. He was working on one in the last weeks of his life and there are snippets. A person has scored it for orchestra and it has been played and recorded. This recording was of the The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, conducted by, you know who, Sir Neville Marriner. 

Just received an amazing FB message from a Laurie Taylor Jackson, who has worked at Wilmington University for 3 years and knows Ben, the fellow I met at Zoup the other day and chatted with and who works in the bookstore. She wrote the following amazing post:
Hi Rudy, Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I know Ben--he's a good guy. I have been at WilmU for about 3 years now. I would be glad to introduce you to some people. They are always looking for adjunct instructors (see WilmU.edu/about us.). Also, the distance learning department is growing right now. Another person you may want to research/connect with is Sharon baker--contact Delaware. Regarding wilmu, If you want to come up for lunch sometime, we could eat at the grad Ctr cafe and I can give you a tour. Gotta run but let's talk more about this. Best Regards, Laurie
2:03pm
I am overwhelmed by your FB message Laurie but overjoyed at the same time. I would gladly meet you for lunch and meet some people at WilmU. Thank you, abundantly, for getting back to me with such a wealth of information and promise. All the best and do take care, rudy


Amazingly wonderful and helpful and thoughtful meeting with a caring funeral director in James Keith (aka, Jim or Jimmy Keith down south, where he went to school -- University of South Carolina, he is a Gamecock fan -- and where he hunts wild boar). He answered our questions and gave us a very decent quote for rental, cremation (Mealey Funeral Homes & Crematory
703 North Broom Street, Wilmington, DE  19805), certificate cost, and newspaper ... it came to $3450, but it was open and mom and dad had an excellent set of questions for the service. He was patient and both feel that it is time to get a set of photos together and of course, to write an obituary (believe it or not, the cost is over $5 per line on the obit page of the News Journal).
Not Mealey Funeral Home's crematory but similar cardboard box was described by Jim Keith as the final repository for the body. Takes about 3 1/2 hours to complete a cremation. Today, 50% of people decide on incineration.






No comments: