Thursday, December 12, 2013

12 December 2013: Thursday ...

Another gorgeous morning as he look out toward the horizon as the sun (7:04 a.m.) has not quite peeked over it but its reddish glow, the same one that dad talked about from his Greek class, the phrase he knew in Old Greek ("the rosy-fingered dawn" from Book 1 of Homer's The Iliad), that he had to translate on his ultimate final after 4 or 5 years of Greek at the Gymnasium Haganum.

Homer: The Iliad - Book I 

http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Greek/Iliad1.htm

"
And at sunset as darkness fell, they lay down to sleep by the ships’ cables, and when
rosy-fingered 
dawn
 appeared they sailed for the distant camp of the Achaeans."
Brought treats up to mom, who had called Dancer (she's really enjoying "OUR" dog now), and then she got her to sit and oh how that dog can sit and paw and just make a fool of herself for a jerky treat. She adores them but doesn't take mom's fingers off when she scarfs them up. 
The sun is up now and its orange disc glow, too strong to stare at and earlier, the stars and planets out, I searched for Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars in the presumed southwest sky and thought I saw the rings with dad's binoculars, which are excellent and clear.

Just shared a link on Facebook from the excellent FB page of the Philadelphia Orchestra which just played a concert in New York's Carnegie Hall playing Hector Berlioz's, whose birthday (1803) is today, Symphonie Fantastique 
 (Fantastic Symphony: An Episode in the Life of an Artist, in Five Parts). The first part of the concert featured my heartthrob, Hélène Grimaud, playing the Brahms' 1st Piano Concerto. Michael Tilson Thomas conducted as

Philly's musical d
irector,  Yannick Nézet-Séguin, missed the date on doctor's orders. 


Hector Berlioz (b. December 12, 1803)

Well Angie's List was useless for finding a place to cut hair well. Only a handful of salons came up in a search within 5 miles. I'll have to go back to the chain hair cutting place in the Shop Rite center off the road to Newport (will I ever get the names of roads down).

Amazing what can happen in a half a day. Your whole family structure can come tumbling apart. A short summary of the day's events includes a great lunch, paid for by Doug, at the Firebirds Wood Fired Grill over by Christiana Hospital of Churchman's Road.


It was packed and our server, Taylor, was a delight. Just pigged out ... Doug loved the wings and a spinach salad, while I had some of his wings (we both had bread and drafts -- mine a Yuengling, Doug two Blue Moon(s), a Belgian wheat beer served with a slice of orange), seared brussel sprouts and a portabello sandwich, all delicious. Topped off with a $7.25 dessert -- cheesecake brulee with fruit garnish (strawberry and blueberry), which we both dispatched, quickly. Afterward, we walked across the parking lot to Jos. Banks and bought one shirt (get two free) for the price of $87.50. Got two white shirts and one suggested or should I say, insisted, by my brother. I acceded even though I was paying. (Nick, who I just got off the phone with and is heading to Columbia to spend the night with Susan before their trip to Charlotte and flight to Baltimore via Atlanta to meet up with Lindsay and get their Alamo rental, an economy car for $65.00 (I shop for bargains, says Susan), and head to Wilmington for the visitation tomorrow.

We had a long talk while I walked Dancer in the chill night air. Just over the bridge in Milltown Park, I said, the digifit app sounded one mile just after I told Susan that the time was coming up. I nailed it. They will all be driving together and hopefully the weather will be good. There is a chance that they might be able to grab a bite to eat with Jan in Newark on their way to my place. Family strife is rife everywhere. Susan and Jan have always been on 
tenterhooks for decades, so, if she gets to see her great, if not, Susan will not be hurt. She's beyond being hurt or affected by her big sister and just goes with the flow.

Stephen Grubbs, MD, dad's oncologist called to spend a good amount of time consoling and sharing some words about dad with me and mom. It was wonderful of him to take the time and share his feelings.

 

My flow has been abruptly redirected by the vindictive nature of my mother and my brother. I guess I'm just one big pain in the ass complainer and moocher and worthless SOB who just can't quit complaining. Tonight, mom got back on me about my comment Sunday night about wanting Mary as my mom and not her. She can't give things up and forgive. We are not talking at present and it's not a good state of affairs. 
I think they're right. How could I not talk about listening and weeping once again to the Last Four Songs of Strauss, particularly the last one, which I placed on FB with the poem and a link to a YouTube rendition by Elisabeth Schwartzkopf. Afterward, I went to mom's room and played for her (she has just called to me, there is a God) the videos of Dad singing Tauber ("O Tauber, nobody like you") and then watching Toscanini conduct Brahms first movement of his First Symphony.

      

Doug lit into me because I got upset that he threw out over $40 worth of stamps in his cleaning frenzy. Should I have been upset. Well, I felt that it was a bonehead move on his part and should have left it at that, but I had to say something and that set off the vindictive and "I have some grudges against you" brother mentality. He sees me as a no-good, moocher, complainer, and unable to get my life in order. I can't afford anything because I don't make any money and I'm literally not worth anything. What I've done for my parents these past months is a stick in his side and he can't handle the sense of letting them down or not being here when dad died. I let him do his own thing as he works like a dervish around the house getting things done and spending money and time at Home Depot.

But today we did get a lot done positively toward the visitation on Saturday. Stacy came over and spent time with mom. She will do her hair in the morning. We'll see about mom's state. Could be dicey. 

I called Mealey's and they have display boards for pictures. I got them, took Dancer for a walk around Delcastle, got a Daily Dancer pic with one frame, and then got the items back home to find that Doug had gotten frames for pictures and easels and then, later, fatigued, he laid out the pictures on the board with the double-stick stickers. It looks good and I will try to write witty cutlines to most of the photos.

Mom needed a pain pill, Doug ok'ed it and went back to bed and mom reached her arms up and said she was sorry and we hugged. We can be so hurtful to one another, I told her, and it will probably happen again. Let's try to be more understanding because we can't pull back what's already been said. The past cannot be relived and we can't live there. We are constantly living in the future as the present pulses forward.

What am I thankful for today?:
  1. All the wonderful photos of dad to put on the display boards. 
  2. Being able to share the videos of dad with mom on the iPad.
  3. Having a great lunch with Doug at the Firebirds Wood Fired Grill on Churchman's Road. 
  4. Getting the foam display boards from Mealey's and two laminated copies of dad's obituary from the paper.
  5. Hearing from Dr. Stephen Grubbs, who shared his condolences and more than a few words about the resolved and stoic strength of my father. Very nice of him.
  6. Forgiving, NOW, my brother and myself for getting all worked up over a few stamps.







No comments: