Thursday, December 19, 2013

18 December 2013: Wednesday ... writing Thank Yous and listening to Beethoven by the Orford on CD (the first 5 of them) ...

It beats changing the record each time, even though they do sound sonically better, but putting in five CDs of the Orford String Quartet, who I just found out are Canadian, a favorite of my father and being able to listen for hours is a delight, especially when I am composing thank yous to the cards and then to the visitors (?) to the visitation.
 



Have moved on and am playing at this time (11:22 a.m.) the Brahms' Symphonies, the First is sounding right now, after the British National Anthem and the Tragic Overture, I was a little confused and thought this first movement of Beethoven's so-called "10th", also an overture. Go figure. These recordings were made in 1952 by Toscanini with the 6-year-old Philharmonia Orchestra. 


Just solved a minor dilemma about the initials of a name, D. A. Ramsey, on a address label for a condolence card. It is David A., who is the husband of Kaye, a nurse who worked for years with dad in the Employee Health Clinic at the Memorial Hospital and then the Christiana Hospital. They live fairly close by at 5426 Pinehurst Drive; Wilmington; 19808-2619. I will have to write them a Xmas card because she also came to the visitation. 

While Joe Brennan was talking to mom. He stopped by to wish his condolences as he'd learned of dad's passing from a search on the Web that brought him to his obituary. He spend some of his military service at Fort Gordon, head of the Army's signal corps, but he was in security, I think. Served 3 years. Showed him some photos of dad from years gone by and which were on display at the visitation. One that was not had dad as a baby in the arms of his mother. I iPhoned it and sent it to Facebook as Joe spoke with mom, who enjoyed his visit.

 
I am so amazed at the quality of reproduction for a tiny photo
in a weather-beaten frame from years past. The caption read:
Rudolph Nijhoff held in the arms of his mother Hendrika circa 1928, Holland.


Dr. Maged called and the INR is whopping 5.9. He said to stop the Coumadin for three days and renew it at 2.5 mg per day, so that will be simpler. We also discussed her lethargy and her declining physical state. He said that she needs to move more and in the future, he mentioned tapering her off the high level of the opiates. I was honest with mom and told her the situation and I think she agrees that she needs to move more but is hesitant, make that resistant, to decreasing the level of her pain meds. "I need them," she says. And yes, she does but maybe not at the level she is currently at. I told her it was all in her head and she could have some measure of control over what she thought. We shall see.

Finally figured out how to post an album of photos on Facebook and now have 8 photos from the visitation up at this url, I think:



   

        

   
Just sent link to the visitation album to Art Steele and he responded posthaste with a thank you. I could not post the album on his Timeline because he does not allow it in his preferences, but I just requested his cell and snail mail address and have not heard back from him in the last two minutes.

I got an e-mail from Susan about the Merry Christmas card, sent to me by Gerrit Stam, which I forwarded to her, and she mentioned the flights for the kids that Doug promised to pay for and whether I'd mentioned it to him and the book that she sent about the prodigal son and of course, the Time Share, and how we were doing in "the aftermath" and that she would be praying daily for us. I responded with a wry return and wrote short, pithy sentences. I don't know how to respond to her these days. (I need to message her with the link to the Visitation Album, which I will do, posthaste.)

No comments: