Monday, December 23, 2013

23 December 2013: Last day to get signed up for ACA (waiting on state of Delaware, need to call 800 number) ... Impt meeting with Sczewczyk today ... call health insurance company ... check with Mealey

Today is a critical day in the finalization of my father's passing. Will discuss financial/tax issues with his accountant, Tom Szewczyk (my goodness, I think I have the spelling down, almost), at least he is the brother of Joe, retired, who did my parents' taxes all those years at 10:30 a.m. The longtime employee there is Chris, who spans both brother accountants. 

Need to phone the health insurance company, Washington General (?), and cancel dad's policy and I have to contact Mealey about their notification of Social Security and Medicare. Have to start using these death certificates as I received #10 of them from the funeral home. 

Carmel, Indiana  46032


Mom was complaining this morning about my inattention, so I put in the monitor that dad used for several weeks and hopefully that will allow me to hear her sooner.
Graco Sound Select LX Audio Baby Monitor - White
The meeting with Tom Szewczyk went extremely well. Gregarious and talkative, we just chewed the fat for a good 20 minutes before discussing taxes and finance issues. He gave me a form with things to look out for and his card with e-mail addresses, et al., and I fired him a post that morning with my info. He got right back to me. He lost his father at 4 1/2 in a horrific work accident and years later, working with Uncle Walt (Ron's dad ... Tom's mom and Sally Okarski were sisters) he asked where his father had been called. They were having lunch and his uncle said right here. Need to share that story with Ron.

Mom called back after I left a voicemail and we had a good talk. I vented about not being responded to after sending e-mails with picture attachments from my family. I got steamed and on my pedestal but she brought me back down. They probably haven't even seen it. Susan is too busy with the season and her Church's head minister had surgery is out of commission at the busiest time of year. She has no time to respond. Lindsay and Nick are another matter, but they oftentimes just don't pay close attention. Well, regardless, I felt sorry for myself and you know where that gets you. I get angry at mom for the same sense of hopelessness and helplessness. Stop moping and do something. I'm learning that in late middle age like not stopping my walk early as the rain picked up around Dorking Court. I could have cut the walk short but said, NO, I'm going to finish my walk around Sheridan Square and make it close to two miles. Didn't quite get there but did complete the walk. A minor victory but one nonetheless.



Important call the Washington National Insurance and I've begun the process of closing out dad's policy with the company. Will send a death certificate with info on his policy to the home office. Ten business days required for closure of policy but at least it's in the works. They will go back, once I inform Wells Fargo to stop the electronic transfer of funds to WNI, to the date of his death, 12/8/13 and remit funds taken for the policy's premium.

1 comment:

lindsayiana said...

Good post but chsnge "called" to. " killed" for Tom's father, 10/22/13 (Tue): Taking dad to eye appt at 2:15 and literally, every parking spot is taken. So, one spot, a handicapped one, is the closest to the eye doctors' office. I take out his expired tag (7/19), hang it on the reflective mirror and we head in. The office is jammed and two women sign closest to the door. I talk to the grandma, whose 15-year-old is almost totally deaf even with a cochlear implant (can hear environmental sounds like sirens and jackhammers) and knows a few signs (easier to learn when you're younger, she said, as they get called for her deaf grandchild, who also has a vision problem). As they leave, I'm on the verge of tears. Emotions balanced on a tightrope.

Dad is seated directly across from me, eyes closed, hand to his mouth in his light-brown jacket. He looks good but I know he's hyrting.