Friday, December 20, 2013

19 December 2013: Thursday ... getting set to leave for Bob & Alice's as I start this post ... it has been topsy-turvy day ...


This was mid-morning and I snuck up on her and got this angle with
the iPhone and posted it on FB. It was a quickie but thanks to the
photogenic nature of my dog, a true natural in front of the camera,
it always seems to come off, and the "loyal cadre" of Dancer devotees
love and "Like" the pics on my Facebook page.
 

The day began miserably at 4 a.m. with mom agonizing in her room as she moved from the bathroom back to her bed. I was aroused and sleepy but I pulled myself together quickly and thought rationally and as a result, felt a little put out (let's be honest here) at her, what I felt, was hyperbolic pain expression. But what do I know? I can't put myself in her place. She was in agony and she took it out on me, especially after I said, loudly and angrily, after she said, "I'm dying." "WE'RE ALL DYING MOM," I exploded. Not a good thing because then she spiraled down and I realized I wasn't going back to bed. 

As the day moved forward, slowly in the morning but quicker after I had medicated her, at her request, with a Vicodin and two Xanax, and she'd calmed a little and rested. Did not feed her or bring her tea until about 7:30 a.m. I did not rest but at least got to calm in the kitchen reading the paper, making some coffee, and eating some Cheerios with Raisin Bran and a banana (which, rather than composting in the backyard by tossing the sections into the ivy, I placed in the trash). 

But I had something to look forward to at the end of the day but thought that I might need a sitter, especially after the morning fireworks. It proved unnecessary as mom rallied and we established a truce and actually she did some walking and actually worked on some crosswords. She is watching less television.

The evening jaunt to Bob and Alice's began about twenty minutes to seven and I didn't return till after 10:30. It was marvelous to see them all -- Bob, Alice, Caleb (for dinner), Ron, and Kathy. We had a grand time in their lovely, Christmassy home with a beautiful Fraser fur and a fire going and the house trimmed with lights. Made me realize, during our talk, how much I have missed in their lives as they talked about travels out West and to Europe -- Bob taught for four weeks in France, I think, and they stayed with Alice's Aunt Jane Eakin, a painter who had a love affair with Isaac Stern and traveled with him, in the town of Menebre in Provence.


http://www.jane-eakin.com/index.php

One of the portraits on the web site was taken by the famous Gjon Mili. 

No comments: