Tuesday, March 25, 2014

24 March 2014: Monday ... two workouts this morning (Helena on Body Pump ... sole male in the class; and then Carla, the chipmunk of activity, leading spinning ... Mom calls VISA ... reschedule Szcewyck this week?

Was so impressed with Robb Kendrick's photos for this story in the April 2014 edition of National Geographic, went looking for his Facebook. He has none. He spurns social media in place of family time and focus, so I found his web site and sent him an e-mail instead. Within a half-hour, I had a personal response from him. I was shocked and pleased with his attention.

********************************************************************

Dear Robb,

I feel like I can call you by your first name after reading, on your web site, your denial and avoidance of social media to spend time with your family. It is a surprising though utterly uplifting declaration of what is important in life and explains why I couldn't find you on Facebook. 

Well, to the point. What unbelievably affecting and storytelling images in this month's National Geographic in your story on "Coal". My hope is that the other images (many, I presume) can find the light of publication, perhaps in a book. They're that good and that heartrending. It is a story, especially those hellish coal mines in India, that needs telling. 

Again, Robb, thanks for your inspiring work and have a great next, six-week trip with your family. 

Sincerely yours,
Rudy Nyhoff

Wilmington, DE 
Cell: 706-544-8359

Hi Rudy,

Thanks for the kind note. Funny you saw the social media commentary.  I’m probably the only photog at NG that does not do social media or instagram etc. My days are full enough with email and  phone and letter writing to a couple of friends as well as family that I can’t take the time to participate.  I’m sure it’s a great tool but for me it’s not a great fit for my life.

A book from the work would be incredible.  Sorry to say that it would not be a big seller as the subject might be too depressing.  It was a cover story for NG, but the sales people thought it would hurt newsstand sales so hence the hedgehog photo. I get it a business decision.  Also, I think it’s hard for NG to look in the mirror and see something unattractive in ourselves (meaning the USA).  We consume the most coal per capita and are responsible for a lot of China’s coal consumption because of our buying Chinese made products iPhones etc.  Honestly I was surprised the story got 35 pages.  It was slated for 20.

Does mean a lot to hear from people who appreciate the efforts to make the images and get them out into the world.  Change will come, though I’m sure slowly.

Take care,

Robb


********************************************************************


Datong, China
At a coal terminal in Shanxi Province workers pick rocks from low-priced coal as it moves past on a conveyor belt. Often working without masks that would protect them from coal dust, they earn three dollars for an 11-hour shift.
Meghalaya, India
A miner works in one of hundreds of coal mines in eastern India that are neither sanctioned nor regulated by government. He lies on his back in low-ceilinged, unsupported passageways, without protective clothing, using a pick and shovel to load his cart.
Meghalaya, India
Coal is lifted out of the mine shaft two tons at a time.

No comments: