Thursday, March 27, 2014

27 March 2014: Thursday ... spreading ice pattern on a freezing morning car windshield ... Carla and her 3 sisters chattering, Body Pump fill-in for Jennifer ... Body Vive motion poetry with Pamela ... selfie with Sandy Tilford ... yoga video sent to Gwen, hopefully onto Christine ... tax papers to Tom Szewczyk good to go ...

Jane Goodall holds a baby Cebus capucinus monkey during a 2013 visit to a primate rescue center in Chile.
An early celebration of Jane Goodall's 80th birthday, which will be on April 3rd, was a story on the npr.org web site.

Once again, rather than taking the time and persisting and showing grit, I abandoned this page last night for bed and other activities that do not benefit my being or what I believe is my essence, so, I am left to recall, a little more hazily, the events that marked the 27th day of March in the year 2014.

A frozen windshield and a spray of washer fluid led to an amazing spread of ice crystals in an intricate pattern, billions of years old, in front of me and lasted for the entire trip to the Y until the front visage of the Honda began to warm and the glass cleared. It was a majesty of joining and merging that truly expressed beauty of nature. 

Carla is a kick in the pants instructor whose constant chatter and energizing attitude is infectious. She is constantly up and spoke about her need to talk, incessantly. We were four sisters, she said, so maybe she couldn't get a word in edge wise. Well, she is an inveterate participant in Body Pump and really pushes herself and thus, her begrudging patrons. It was a good workout.

Pamela led a class of poetic movement to matching rhythmic music in Body Vive. She is a wonderful instructor and does all the movements while reciting them just prior to execution. Just amazing. I followed my friend Heidi, the one with the "feet" sneakers who I find delightful in her enthusiasm for these classes. And she is so good, does all the moves flawlessly and seamlessly. It was also a good workout and myself, and the two other middle aged (they were a bit older and probably retired, really) men in the class (for a whopping total of 3) got to watch the synchrony of the women, who truly demonstrate why they need to run the world and not men. They'd be far more effective.

Drove past a sweeping Eleanor Hyde on her sidewalk and was stopped by a van blocking my way on Pickwick in front of the park. Thought I'd be late to my appointment with Tom Szewczyk, so I moved on but then had to back up and took the time to speak to this lovely woman, who is managing and who tells me that her husband, Ernie, is doing better than her. She made a point to tell me that she'd sent a contribution into the web site that had dad's obit and testimonials, et al., and I said that I'd check to see that it went through. Don't know where to go on the web but will see. Feel sure that it succeeded. Turned up McCawber to Cratchett and then to Milltown and made the appointment right on time at 1:30. Greeted by Chris, who showed me into the waiting room and Tom appeared momentarily. They are wonderful people. Chris' mom is in an expensive nursing home in Florida, cheaper than up here, and she and her sisters are working with the financing. It is challenging for a family. 

I really like Thomas "Tom" A. Szewczyk, CPA , who I had an appointment with today, just a day short from when dad last appeared in his office a year ago and told him that he would not be back the following year due to his diagnosis. He told me that in his own words. Well, he's just an amazing guy and so personable. Loved sports growing and played baseball and does golf now. Fortunately, he's had no joint issues and thus no surgeries like knee or hip replacements. He can still walk the golf course. He showed me a Spring Training Phillies cap that his brother, retired CPA in Florida, sent him. Tom use to work for the IRS, where they treated him professionally, but took over his brother's business and bought out the other CPA. Well, we got to the business at hand and thanks to mom, he got all the information he needs for the taxes and they are set to be completed in the coming weeks. They will busy for him. He did relate a wonderful story of taking his mother, late in her life, to Orlando and how she loved the flight and demanded a window seat. She had the time of her life, he said. I concurred that moments like that are true treasures to keep and to hold, much like the writings our parents have penned. Tom has the 8th grade graduation certificate from his grandfather (?) on the wall dated 1929. 


No comments: